Though they did not appear to be doing much, just standing and breathing, Lucia Tereschenko identified them as inhuman and evil, and Hiram McDaniels offered the town his help in defeating them. Slowly but steadily, more and more Night Vale citizens turned into strangers, and the city began falling apart. Shortly after it was discovered all these strangers were sent by Chad's Beagle puppy, they were inexplicably thrown out of town.
Curiously, no one sees the strangers move. They simply appear and disappear, but not when observed. They smell like compost, are all gray, and they make you feel cold.
They can devour souls and turn people into one of them. According to Michelle Nguyen:
"Maureen says it’s super painful when they do that, and the transformation is for forever. That’s why they can only stand and breathe, and not really move, because they’re in so much pain for so long, trapped in immortal bodies. It was cool. Kind of cool. I mean, I don’t know. Will you hate me if I like something?"
- Episode 77 A Stranger: One of the strangers turns up at Night Vale Community Radio.
- Episode 80 A New Sheriff in Town: The strangers attend the new sheriff's press conference.
- Episode 82 Skating Rink: The Sheriff's Secret Police are investigating rumors that the strangers are "something else entirely".
- Episode 84 Past Time: Lucia Tereschenko warns Cecil about them. Her story appears to link them to the entities concerned with the movement of peculiar crates into and out of Night Vale.
- Episode 86 Standing and Breathing: The strangers finally act.
- Episode 89 Who's a Good Boy? Part 1: More and more people become strangers, as the town is collapsing.
- Episode 90 Who's a Good Boy? Part 2: The strangers leave suddenly the down, and there is no trace of the sinister Beagle Puppy. Cecil suggests several theories, and Lucia Tereschenko says they might come back. However, no stranger was seen in Night Vale ever since.